Are you enjoying the new year? What projects are you working on? Have you committed to organizing your desk, your closet? Today I'm partnering with Garnet Hill to share 3 easy steps to decluttering and organizing your closet.1. Declutter - Pack up the old. Many people say to pack up anything you haven't worn in a year. I say, 5 years. However, my rule is pack it away. Wash the item, fold neatly and pack in a sealed plastic container. There have been many times when I wish I hadn't gotten rid of something. So now I keep it for a few more years. Plus as many of you ladies know, our weight tends to go up and down (depending on the time of year, life circumstance or whatever). So keep your items for 3-5 years and if at that point you won't wear it again, give it away or consign it!
2. Organize - REAAALLY organize. Separate your clothes into categories - tops, , jeans, bottoms, skirts, dresses, jackets. I am a little organizationally crazy and even organize those categories by type and color. :)
3. Stabilize - Invest in staple items. Think blazers, skinny jeans, cashmere, chambray, booties, ballet flats.
Garnet Hill is one of my favorite places for amazing staple pieces (and they are having an amazing sale right now). I have listed some items that can make your closet complete. Add some trendy jewelry and accessories and you'll have a perfect closet. A closet that you won't ever wake up and say, "I don't have anything to wear today!" :)
The Perfect Staple Tops:
- Slub Organic tee - Wear this ultra comfortable tee with leggings and ballet flats. Or dress it up with some skinny jeans, a leather jacket and some gorgeous jewelry.
- Stripe tee - I have more than 1 striped tee in my closet and I'm not ashamed. They are a perfect every day essential! This tee has amazing detail with ruching at the waist and sleeves :)
- Chambray - I have a love affair with chambray. When I'm standing in my closet with no ideas on what I want to wear - it's denim X denim. I'm not ashamed to say I think I have 5 chambray shirts in my closet!
- Cashmere - Cashmere should be a definite staple in everyone's closet. I've been a long time fan of Garnet Hill's cashmere. Their sweaters are gorgeously soft and it holds up! Check out this post with Garnet Hill's long cashmere cardigan. It's like wrapping up in the warmest, softest blanket!
The Perfect Staple Bottoms:
- Skinny jeans - Everyone should own at least 1 pair of skinny jeans. Gang these skinny jeans are IT! The right amount of stretch, rise and crop!
- Utility pants - When it's not a jeans day, an every day pant for me is my utility pants. These pants have beautiful details like the patch pockets and side vents.
The Perfect Staple Dresses:
- Leightweight terry dress - This dress is simple, slimming and comfortable. Add a jean jacket and some wedges? Y'all I'm ready for summer!
- Sweater dress - Again, simple takes the cake. But I love and look for pieces that even though might be simple, have beautiful detail. This dress had me at pockets :) And don't get me started on the amazing wide hem. This dress would be gorgeous with some heeled riding boots right?
The Perfect Staple Jackets:
- Denim jacket - My denim jacket is almost an everyday spring piece. Even with dress pants, a white button down, my denim jacket is a winner. My spring outfit is a stripe dress, easy sneaks and a denim jacket... Perfection!
- Leather jacket - Another amazing piece that can go from day to night. This leather jacket ladies? Pick. It. Up! Butter soft and the color - ah the color! This is the sort of piece I just go gaga for :)
- Spring rain coat - April showers bring May flowers right? Be prepared in this ultra cute stripe rain jacket. Don't be boring in the rain - bring some fun!
The Perfect Staple Shoes:
- Ballet flats - There's nothing better when your day needs to start than just slipping on a pair of ballet flats. They are cute, they are easy - what could be better?
- Sneakers - Shopping by the beach, a backyard barbeques, sneakers are a must for the everyday gal on the go! These are super cute and available in several colors.
- Platform wedges - Ahhh the ever so popular and wonderful wedges. These are a perfect pair. The color is beautiful, a perfect peep toe and ankle strap. Think skinny jeans for a night out or a lunch date with girlfriend in a sundress.
So there you have it! My list of staples that can give you a perfect wardrobe to last years. See more amazing pieces at Garnet Hill and get 25% through today!
Thanks for stopping by today.